Friday, July 22, 2011

Swivel Chair Reveal: A Project for my Sista

If you follow my blog you know that I have a sister who is a fourth grade teacher and is my best friend, confidant and number one fan.  Our friends refer to us as the 'sistas.'  We are most definitely a 'Power of Two!'  Individually, we have our strengths and weaknesses. Together, we are unstoppable.  We are both strong women, both creative, both passionate.  She is bossy and puts up with nothing. (I think that comes with a lifetime as a teacher.)  I am artsy, a little flaky and do whatever she tells me to do.  After all, she is my big sister and that fact will never change. 


So when she told me asked me to redo this chair that she picked up last week at a thrift store for $15 and will be using in her classroom, what was I to do but comply!!! (wink)  Now....this is where the power of two comes into play.  What makes us a strong unit is that we both know when to step aside and let the other one lead.  On this project, all she said was that I had no limits and to go wild. 


I knew that I needed a good base color to work with, so I picked up a few cans of Valspar Spray Paint in Black Satin and gave the chair several good coats of black.

After this point, I struggled with project more than most because I really wanted to make her happy the look I was after required multiple patterns and colors and the crevices where the rattan meets made it very difficult to hand paint.   After attempting a few areas, I stopped and put my thinking cap on. I just don't do anything that I don't think will be awesome.  Quite frankly, anything less?.....isn't worth my effort!  Yep. I know. Insanity.  But this chair is for my sister! My most important customer!!

After two days, and waking up at 4 AM obsessing about a solution, I came up with the idea of applying strips of decorative papers in a decoupage manner of application.  I got my stash of papers out and sorted through, picking out the patterns that I thought would clash, but compliment each other in their own right.  I painstakingly cut the strips and applied them as I went along with my Modge Podge.  Don't feel sorry for me.  I was in my studio, with my favorite music, ignoring the world and creating.  Is there anything better??  The answer is "No." 

She was okay with the fabric on the seat, but I knew that I would definitely need to change it up.  That fabric was just too conservative, predictable and well.....boring.  (Sorry sista)  At one point when I was allowing a layer of Modge Podge to set up, I searched through my stash and found, oh my, the grandest most fabulous fabric ever!!! Yeah!  A few staples later and it was good to go!   

I am super pleased with the results. With no further adieu, the results....

-Before-

-After-







So now my bossy sister has a sweet little swivel stool to sit on in front of her classroom and I have a new technique to use on a few more projects.  It's win, win.  You know.....the Power of Two. 


 -The End-
Linking this post to:





16 comments:

Sue said...

Kick ass!

Lisa said...

OMG OMG I LOVE IT HOLY @#$%!!!!!!! YAYAY!!!!!!!

Vicky said...

I love this!

Twice Nice said...

Woo Hoo! She'll be like, the coolest teacher "eveh"! Fun! Deb

tofubeast said...

So much fun. L is one lucky lady!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

That is jazzy! The Power of Two is fabulous!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love it Lesley! Another outside the box creation! You are getting really good at all this!!!!

Unknown said...

OMG! This is adorable!!! LOVE IT!

I have a "Flash-Back-Friday" linky going on right now, Its so fun looks at old posts--would love for you to link up one! =)
Cookin' for my Captain's FBF #9

Allen said...

I love this.Last night I wrote a long post and could never sign in.I or they are very mentally challenged. So brief comment and I try again.

Katie said...

This is so fun Lesley!! Waaay better than it was! I bet your sister (and her class) will love it!

Debbiedoos said...

That is a fabulous and fun makeover. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

Honey at 2805 said...

Such a fun, whimsical makeover! Nice job!

Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500 entries, they will increase the Gift Card to $100.
Honey

DIYbyDesign said...

That is one cool and funky makeover. Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

A-MAZING!!!!

Kecia said...

Oh my goodness, I love it! It is so whimsical!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)