Saturday, December 10, 2011

25 Days of Christmas and Hoiliday Series: Day 10

Funky Junk Christmas Gift Ornaments

We ALL have junk laying around our homes.  Some of it less junky then others. Some....pretty junky.  I got to wondering if I was up to the challenge of making my little pieces of junk into something of value.  I looked in a few junk drawers (we all have those) and scoured places in my house where I knew I had broken and discarded stuff...like my costume jewelry drawer, my bowl of discarded furniture hardware, sewing supplies and rusty yard bucket stuff.  This is what I collected.
This is a collection of hose bib handles, assorted broken vintage jewelry (my moms), a stone and some shells, an old rusty key, a drawer pull, a spare crystal chandelier drop, a vintage bell shaped cookie cutter and an old lure I picked up at a garage sale because I thought it was neat.

Using the ribbons, beads, buttons and whatnot that I already had, this is what I came up with...
Add a red bow and a hook and you
got a great gift for the rusty, crusty loving
junk person like me! 

Add a nice white ribbon and a few
vintage buttons on a piece of jute and
you got something a little more 'frilly.'
Also added a little burlap bow along with a little artificial berry sprig.
Here they are together.
So...this a little too junky for you?  Well then, how about this one.  I used a spare chandelier crystal drop with a broken vintage earring that was my mother's and I think it was her mother's earring.  I added a little green bead between.

I then added a nice silver bow and hook.  The results...



On the same theme, only another twist, I took the crystal drawer knob and used the other piece of the pair of earrings with a silver bead leftover from my Day 1 Mini Wreaths Project


So now I turned my attention to some more natural elements.  This is what I came up with...
A simple little stone with a tiny shell wrapped with a tiny string of jute.
A little piece of coral hung upside down on a wire with four shells tied chime-like on tiny
strings of jute.  Simple elegance.
Now for that vintage fishing lure.  I thought that the lure itself was pretty cool and I didn't want to take away from what it already was, so a tied a simple red cord, tied it in a bow and added three tiny sprigs of artificial berries.  Quick. Easy.

I then took a little vintage thread spool that was in a bag of vintage buttons that I picked up at a collectibles mall this year and put it together with some embroidery thread and buttons.
I wove the red and green thread onto the spool.

My final ornament gave me a little bit of a fit.  In the end, I was please with the old rusty key paired with a clipping from spare trim and an antique lace bow to finish it off.



Do you have any junk laying around?  I know you do.  Have you considered making something out of the ordinary with those little pieces of whatnot?  It's a fun project to tackle with wonderfully fresh results!

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my 
 Day 11 
of 
25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Ideas and Gifts Series!!

-The End-
This post was featured on:

Linking this post to:
               

Nap-Time Creations

      

               

               
      

34 comments:

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I love the rusty, crusty, ones, and the old key! You just gave me a wonderful idea. I am opening a juntique shop, and this is what I can do for the tree! And sell the ornaments on the tree too. Thank you.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Cute decorations!

Dee

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love that dangly crystal earring one the most! so pretty!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

My favorites are the valve handle ornaments. Fun!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Your killing me with all this energy! Love all your ideas!!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fun stuff Lesley.

Twice Nice said...

It's like a very steampunk Christmas! So cool! Deb

Grammy Goodwill said...

Those look great. I don't have any junk around because I decluttered all of it. hehehe

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Great junky decorations - with lots of imagination and style.
-Joy

WrightStuff said...

I just adore your creativity. I think i'm gonna make something with my son this afternoon now :)

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Great ornaments! Very creative and a nice job transforming everyday objects into holiday pretties. I'm your newest follower and I hope you get a chance to pop over to Cottage and Creek and follow back. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Lynn

Kei said...

Love your junky ornaments! They all look fabulous! :)

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Love the faucet knobs and lure!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you could make anything look festive. Pat

Q @ JAQS said...

I love this idea. What a great way to reuse stuff and also holds such great memories as well :)


Love for you to share it at my linky party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/12/made-by-me-10-linky-party-and-features.html

Rebeca Trevino said...

these are terrific!
thanks!

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Love the repurposing ideas and all your funky junk!

Lisa Montsion said...

Add a bow to anything and it becomes way cuter.

lisa

CSS Founder said...

We are known as the best web design company in navi mumbai. Connect with us and get unique design for your business website.

Unknown said...

Exotica Housing is ready to launch their new projects in sector 79 Noida. There is no time to wait to get your dream house. Connect with us shortly for the best deal. Luxury residential projects in sector 79 Noida

Gaurav's Blog said...

Thanks For Sharing Such A Great Article, Please Read Our Article And Keep Them Up.
Thanks For Sharing Such A Great Article, Please Read Our Article And Keep Them Up.

Akash Kanaujiya said...

To make your business accessible to the people through the website, you will need a personal website of your own business, we will make you a good and bang website that will take your business forward very fast. Contact us for this
Website design company brisbane

Cssfounder said...


We are the best sunshades manufactured company in UAE and we have lots of shades products for more information visit our website.
Sun Shades

Akash Kanaujiya said...

CSS Founder is a website design company that has made a different identity in the field of website design for the last 10 years with more effort and hard work, contact for more information.
Web design company Detroit

AssureIndia said...


Assure India have a great deal for you If you are looking for a Ipad insurance plan so connect with us. Assure India can provide you iPhone insurance at an affordable price.

Chavi. Appfinz said...

Thanks for your valuable post, Really nice and very informative.
Website Designing in Pitampura NSP Delhi

Go Hoardings | Outdoor Advertising Agency said...

Thankyou for providing this information, this is a very useful blog, please keep doing this we will be waiting for your next blog.
Best Digital Ooh Media Advertising

Rio Resort Lansdowne said...

Thank you so much again and keep up the good work Resorts in Lansdowne Uttarakhand

Cooking Darbar said...


Nice Post Your content is extremely motivating and appreciative; I really enjoy it. This is a very helpful blog, so please keep up the good work; we eagerly anticipate your next post.

Love Ronaldo said...

“When you’re a nurse, you know that every day you will touch a life or a life will touch yours.” Nursing Services in Noida

Nutraint said...

Your blog is very impressive and have the useful information it is really caught my attention. Nutraint

accepthealthcare said...

Thanks for your nice Blog. High-quality health care system at affordable price. Patient Care Services in Mathura

sdfasdfsadfsdfs said...

CSS Founder is the best website design company in bangalore that provides high-quality website design & development services.

cssfoundergurgaon said...

If you live in Ghaziabad and looking for a reliable website designing company in Ghaziabad, CSS Founder is your solution. With years of experience and expertise in the field, they will help you create a top-notch website that not only looks attractive but also ranks well on search engines. Contact us to know more about how CSS Founder can help you improve your online presence and promote your business.