Saturday, December 10, 2011

25 Days of Christmas and Hoiliday Series: Day 10

Funky Junk Christmas Gift Ornaments

We ALL have junk laying around our homes.  Some of it less junky then others. Some....pretty junky.  I got to wondering if I was up to the challenge of making my little pieces of junk into something of value.  I looked in a few junk drawers (we all have those) and scoured places in my house where I knew I had broken and discarded stuff...like my costume jewelry drawer, my bowl of discarded furniture hardware, sewing supplies and rusty yard bucket stuff.  This is what I collected.
This is a collection of hose bib handles, assorted broken vintage jewelry (my moms), a stone and some shells, an old rusty key, a drawer pull, a spare crystal chandelier drop, a vintage bell shaped cookie cutter and an old lure I picked up at a garage sale because I thought it was neat.

Using the ribbons, beads, buttons and whatnot that I already had, this is what I came up with...
Add a red bow and a hook and you
got a great gift for the rusty, crusty loving
junk person like me! 

Add a nice white ribbon and a few
vintage buttons on a piece of jute and
you got something a little more 'frilly.'
Also added a little burlap bow along with a little artificial berry sprig.
Here they are together.
So...this a little too junky for you?  Well then, how about this one.  I used a spare chandelier crystal drop with a broken vintage earring that was my mother's and I think it was her mother's earring.  I added a little green bead between.

I then added a nice silver bow and hook.  The results...



On the same theme, only another twist, I took the crystal drawer knob and used the other piece of the pair of earrings with a silver bead leftover from my Day 1 Mini Wreaths Project


So now I turned my attention to some more natural elements.  This is what I came up with...
A simple little stone with a tiny shell wrapped with a tiny string of jute.
A little piece of coral hung upside down on a wire with four shells tied chime-like on tiny
strings of jute.  Simple elegance.
Now for that vintage fishing lure.  I thought that the lure itself was pretty cool and I didn't want to take away from what it already was, so a tied a simple red cord, tied it in a bow and added three tiny sprigs of artificial berries.  Quick. Easy.

I then took a little vintage thread spool that was in a bag of vintage buttons that I picked up at a collectibles mall this year and put it together with some embroidery thread and buttons.
I wove the red and green thread onto the spool.

My final ornament gave me a little bit of a fit.  In the end, I was please with the old rusty key paired with a clipping from spare trim and an antique lace bow to finish it off.



Do you have any junk laying around?  I know you do.  Have you considered making something out of the ordinary with those little pieces of whatnot?  It's a fun project to tackle with wonderfully fresh results!

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my 
 Day 11 
of 
25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Ideas and Gifts Series!!

-The End-
This post was featured on:

Linking this post to:
               

Nap-Time Creations

      

               

               
      

18 comments:

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

I love the rusty, crusty, ones, and the old key! You just gave me a wonderful idea. I am opening a juntique shop, and this is what I can do for the tree! And sell the ornaments on the tree too. Thank you.

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

Cute decorations!

Dee

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love that dangly crystal earring one the most! so pretty!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

My favorites are the valve handle ornaments. Fun!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Your killing me with all this energy! Love all your ideas!!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Fun stuff Lesley.

Twice Nice said...

It's like a very steampunk Christmas! So cool! Deb

Grammy Goodwill said...

Those look great. I don't have any junk around because I decluttered all of it. hehehe

A Vintage Green said...

Great junky decorations - with lots of imagination and style.
-Joy

WrightStuff said...

I just adore your creativity. I think i'm gonna make something with my son this afternoon now :)

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Great ornaments! Very creative and a nice job transforming everyday objects into holiday pretties. I'm your newest follower and I hope you get a chance to pop over to Cottage and Creek and follow back. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Lynn

Kei said...

Love your junky ornaments! They all look fabulous! :)

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Love the faucet knobs and lure!!!

Pat's Pink Apron said...

I think you could make anything look festive. Pat

Q @ JAQS said...

I love this idea. What a great way to reuse stuff and also holds such great memories as well :)


Love for you to share it at my linky party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/12/made-by-me-10-linky-party-and-features.html

rebeca trevino said...

these are terrific!
thanks!

ReMadeSimple Kristina said...

Love the repurposing ideas and all your funky junk!

Lisa Montsion said...

Add a bow to anything and it becomes way cuter.

lisa