Sunday, December 4, 2011

25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series: Day 4

Festive, Funky Doily Christmas Trees


We all have seen the paper Christmas Trees dominating the blogs and PinInterest this holiday season.  I wanted to tackle making a few of these, but have been looking for my own personal twist on the project. I was at a flea market with a friend today and found a huge box of doilies for sale.  My mind went immediately to this project, I gave the gal the 8 bucks for about 50 dollars worth of an assortment of doilies.  I was super excited that there were several packs of silver and gold doilies too.


For this project I started with a kitchen skewer placed in a small piece of Styrofoam pressed into a Dollar Store glass candlestick holder.  I made sure the pointy end of the skewer was pointing up.

Using 7 doilies of the same size per tree,  I cut a straight line from the outer edge to the center of the doily.  I fashioned each doily into a cone shape and used a tiny spot of hot glue to secure. As I worked up the tree from the bottom, I pulled the doily tighter, making the opening smaller and smaller as I proceeded. 

One at a time, I threaded them over the skewer, fixing them with a small dot of hot glue as I worked upwards.  Once the final cone was dry, I clipped off any excess stick.  I then hot glued an embellishment at the very top.

For the larger white tree, I used one of my own silver candlesticks.  I didn't polish the piece.  I like the patina and vintage look that they tarnish gives the candlestick.

I wanted to put a birdie on the top of this tree, but all I had was a yellow bird.  So out came my can of Valspar Brilliant Metal Silver spray paint.  I quickly spritzed the bird, getting paint on my freshly painted nails.  Oh well....guess they won't look so great for that holiday party I am going to!!! 


I am super excited about my little trees.  I am contemplating make several more for a holiday table scape I am thinking about. 

Hope you enjoyed this little project.  It's a fun, inexpensive, yet an elegant way to spruce up a little spot in your home.  Now....I gotta go do something about these nails.  I am such a silly bird. 

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my
Day 5
of
25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Ideas and Gifts Series!!

-The End-
Featured!!!



Featured!!!
Etcetorize
Linking this post to:


                       


       


               

The Lettered Cottage        Etcetorize        

               

                      

26 comments:

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

These are super cute, Lesley! They would perfect on a tablescape. :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

These are darling! I love the one on the silver candlestick.

TheCrankyCrow said...

These are very sweet Lesley....you're so dang clever! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Patty Sumner said...

Sweet and I love them! Blessings!

tofubeast said...

I don't know which one I like the best. Why choose?! hehe So glad I got to see these doilies go to such good use. These trees are super sweet.

CountryBelle said...

They are so simple yet so pretty!

Iuliana@Hip2Thrift said...

sooo cute! Totally making these!

Cassie Bustamante said...

those are so cute- i don't know why but the word "doily" always makes me giggle a little... doily, doily doily.. he he!

Sinderella's Studio said...

love all the projects...need more time...as usual.
cheers, dana

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Ooooo, these really speak to me. What a great idea. I'm doing mostly silver and white for Christmas.

Etcetorize said...

Wow, so simple but so gorgeous! I'd love for you to come over and share these at my linky party, it's open now: http://etcetorize.blogspot.com/2011/12/make-it-great-monday.html

Katie @decoratemylife said...

These have an understated beauty. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Frazier said...

so frilly and cute! thanks for sharing!

Fishtail Cottage said...

love love love this! fabulous creations! so glad i stopped by, i need to share this w/a friend! xoxo, tracie

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

Brilliant! And Beautiful! I love the silver one and the little birds just make them so wonderful...

Kim
www.todayismysome-day.blogspot.com

{oc cottage} said...

ADORABLE!!!

m ^..^

Rebecca said...

I love these! Pinned this and will be making one for my tree display. :)

Funkytime said...

wow, love your trees!

Lindsi B said...

So pretty!!! They are just gorgeous! I'd love for you to share this with my readers for our Fun Stuff Fridays linky party. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2011/12/fun-stuff-fridays-3.html

Etcetorize said...

I'm featuring your project over at Etcetorize! Come on over and grab a button from the sidebar if you like~ ( http://etcetorize.blogspot.com/2011/12/giveaway-winner-make-it-great-monday.html )

Unknown said...

Those trees are PERFECT!!! I'm excited to be your newest follower and hope you'll stop by and visit and follow me, too!

I'm joining 8 bloggers in hosting Blogging Around the Christmas Tree Party and today’s feature is Christmas Scapes at my place! I’d love to have you join up, the party is just beginning!

http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2011/12/christmas-blog-link-party-christmas.html

XO, Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com

Chas said...

I love doily decor! I also love the silver tree...how fun! I would love for you to share it at my Shades of the Season Party.

http://onewomenshaven.blogspot.com/2011/12/shades-of-season-party-5.html

Megan Gunyan said...

Adorable! These are so cute and EASY! I'm all about easy....!

Linda M. said...

Really love your little trees. Good use of those doilies. You did very well on the purchase too. Merry Christmas. Linda

Jacqueline said...

I love doily trees! I featured them today!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love the bird on top of these white Christmas trees.

lisa