Thursday, December 8, 2011

25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series: Day 8

Metallic Ornament Wreath:Thrifty Doesn't Mean Cheapo



I find some amazing stuff at my local dollar store.  Don't get me wrong, most of the stuff in that store is...well, cheapo.  But every once in a while, I come across something in my Dollar Tree that just stuns the heck out of me.  The ornament wreath that I made from metallic Christmas ornaments are a great example.

I was scouring the store a few days back, looking for things like the glass candlestick holders that I used in my Silver and White Doily Christmas Trees, and found these metallic ornaments.  I stopped for a second because I couldn't believe the visual quality of these ornaments.  They had the appearance of expensive vintage ornaments.  Well...I gobbled up several tubes of them.  For a buck each, I was frantic.

Why did I get myself all riled up?!!  Well, I have been wanting to make one of those ornament wreaths that I have been seeing all over Pin Interest.  They take a ton of ornaments to completely cover the base and quite frankly...that is a lot of money on ornaments! 

I started with a Styrofoam base that I picked up at Goodwill for 25 cents and sprayed it silver with my Valspar Metallic Metal Spray Paint.  I also had found a nice size bag of silver garland that same day at Goodwill for 75 cents, so I brought that out too.  Here were my supplies.

Materials Needed
1-12 inch Styrofoam wreath form
5 tubes (12 each) of Dollar Store ornaments
1 pack of 18 mini ornaments (Joann's Fabrics)
Valspars Brilliant Metal Spray Paint
Several Yards of Silver Garland
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Wire for hanging (optional)

I first wrapped the base with my garland, hot gluing it at the start and the finish.  I added a piece of wire for hanging it later.

Starting on the inside, I hot glued  the ornaments to the base, varying the ornaments as I proceeded.  I took a few moments with each one holding them in place for the glue to set. 
I then repeated the same process on the outside of the wreath.  As I rounded the outside closer to the end, I paid close attention to make sure that when they met, there was enough space and/or not a pregnant space left between the last ones.

I then started to work the ornaments into the space between the inner and outer ornaments.  If you look closely at this next image, you can see that the ornaments had varying colors with some ornaments with glitter.  I varied these different colors as I proceeded.

I kept going until the entire wreath was covered.  I then filled in the large spaces with a few tiny ornaments that I had previously picked up at Joann's. 

There were still some spaces that needed something and a few places where the hot glue was showing.  I didn't want to add anymore ornaments, so I just cut little sprigs of the leftover garland, put a little dollop of hot glue on the end and worked them onto those areas allowing them to spritz out a little.


Done.  This wreath took me a total of 2 hours, mostly because I worked slowly making sure each ornament was set up before moving onto the next one.  I had leftover ornaments and they look totally cool just sitting in my metal urn.

Results!



This wreath only cost me 7 bucks you guys...  Even if you paid full price for the wreath form and the garland, it would only cost you about $15.  That PALES in comparison to what you would pay to buy something like this. 

Just remember to really keep a strong eye peeled when you are at your local Dollar Tree.  You just never know what you will find that surprisingly looks super high quality! 

TIP!!
Don't forget to scour your local thrift shops right now.  They have a lot of holiday decorations because people are getting their decorations out and getting rid of what they do not want. Maybe a bag of garland, an old wreath that can be striped and cleaned up or a little dish or something that you might be able to use is waiting there for you!  Check it out!  You might be surprised.


Don't forget to come back tomorrow for my
Day 9
of
25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Ideas and Gifts Series!!



-The End-
Linking this post to:
This wreath was FEATURED! Yeah...here is where...




Linking this post to: 

       

       

    

  
  
               








                    
               


55 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

this is my favorite so far! love me some sparkle! i feel the same way about the dollar store, too. :)

karah said...

This came out GREAT! I love an unexpected find in all the normal cheapo stuff at those great discount shops. Your project is wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Absolutely adorable! You had lost me for a moment when you wrapped the wreath with the tinsel, but I got back on track pretty quick. ;) I love it!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

I Love how yourwreath turned out. It's Beautiful! Gotta Love that Dollar Tree!

Unknown said...

that is so beautiful.

Patty Sumner said...

I love it! Great idea! Blessings!

Twice Nice said...

Holy Cow I love this one! I need to hurry and get out to the Dollar Store before it starts to snow again. The problem is with all these new projects I just... can't... keep... up! I start to make one, then out you come with another that I want to do, and before I can put it together you've got more rolling down the pipeline! Do you ever get to sleep?!! Keep em coming. I'll be holiday crafting right behind you until sometime in April! Deb

Unknown said...

Love all the sparkle! I need an urn like yours too!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I LOVE this wreath! It is fabulous!

Lou Cinda

Rachel said...

Great job on the wreath - I am in love with it! And I love the thriftiness involved as well!!
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

So, so pretty! I love it.

tofubeast said...

Stunning!!! I love this wreath. I had a couple of these on my pinterest too. Now I know how they are made! This may just be my fave so far, but whatever, I love it all!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Tres chic my friend....beautiful - even to this primmy!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

This is beautiful! Love the silver...just my style! I'm your newest follower. Please check out bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance! Have an awesome weekend!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

This could be the best wreath I have seen yet...totally stunning. The fact that is was $7 makes it incredible!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

That would go perfectly with my Christmas decor. I love it.

Jessie said...

It's just perfect! I actually got a box of 30 baubles yesterday for €2.50 on sale and I have a foam wreath, now if I could only find my hot glue gun!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

That would go great in my dining room! Love it! Love sparkle!

stefanie said...

it's gorgeous!!!

{oc cottage} said...

AWESOME!!!!

m ^..^

Heaven's Walk said...

Wow! LUV the sparkle and bling of your "el cheapo" wreath! Great job!!!! :)

xoxo laurie

Ruth @ White Whimsy said...

WOW, this wreath is beautiful and you make it look so easy. I may have to try to make myself one.

Unknown said...

Love, love , love the wreath!! It looks so expensive!! Your newest follower!!

Anonymous said...

WoW!!! I'm in awe!!! Your wreath is beautiful!!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Another beauty from you! Nice job!

Revi said...

So fab! I love the mix of warmer and cooler silvers together. I just found you via Homemaker on a Dime today! Glad I did. :)
-Revi

Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy said...

absolutely beautiful my friend! Thank you SO much for sharing the "how to" part!!!
Jaime

Our Hopeful Home said...

Found you over at Homemaker on a Dime,love this, I made a dollar store wreath,too! I'd like to try yours next. Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower.

Anonymous said...

That wreath is beautiful! I love the tinsel mixed with the silver ornaments.

abeachcottage said...

That looks seriously amazing! Well done :)

Jen said...

This looks like something that could be purchased from Pier 1 Imports! I love your tutorial :) The wreath is so beautiful!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

Great job. Looks very high end for a few bucks!

Marigene said...

This is by far my favorite wreath of the season...I ♥♥♥ it!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Your wreath turned out great. I have a similar one that I bought about 7 or 8 years ago. I have loved and used it ever since. I now use it in my mantel display. I love dollar stores!

Shari @ Swinging on a Star Creations said...

The wreath is stunning...love it!

aimee said...

great tutorial, thanks for sharing i love it xxx

foreverdecorating said...

One of the prettiest ones I have ever seen.

Melysa - Moments with the Montanos said...

Wow, this came out great. Really love it!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

This is the week's fave post so I'll feature this tomorrow at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you, my friend, for joining us :)

Pitter and Glink said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Great job! :)

Shannon Fox said...

I adore this! You did a wonderful job on it and the metallic tones are perfection. They do look like a vintage mix in shades of pewter.

Boden said...

This is pretty much genius! I love that you used tinsel garland to keep the wreath looking full and extra festive! I'd be thrilled if you popped by to share this post, and any others you'd like to show off at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

Debbie Refreshrestyle said...

I love this, you did a great job and a wonderful price!
Debbie

Decor & Harmony said...

The garland is a really nice touch! Love it.

Audrey said...

Beautiful wreath and very nice tutorial. Gotta do one. Thanks for inspiring me. Will become a new follower and add you to my favorites. Audrey Z. Timeless Treasures.

Ivy and Elephants said...

What a a gorgeous wreath. This is such an awesome idea. I am going to hit the thrift stores asap. I would love it if you could share this awesome post at our What's It Wednesday linky party. Hope you can join us.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Miss Charming said...

I love ornament wreaths. Yours looks wonderful and I like the idea of the garland showing through. So pretty!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how you took these ornaments and made them into a wreath.

lisa

Unknown said...

Wow, you did a beautiful job!!! You explained how to make this wreath in such an easy way, that I'm actually going to try and make this!!! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Simply gorgeous! Another great idea.....add just one, two or three of your prized, expensive ornaments at the end as a focal point! Tie it in with the tree!

Unknown said...

I just made this wreath and it is gorgeous! A bit messy, but super simple! Question though, what did you put on the back in order to hang the wreath? And how did you do it?

daniel said...

Quickbooks Support Phone Number+1-888-422-3444, to connect with responsive Quickbooks Customer Service. Here you can also request a call back form QuickBooks Help division. First full-fledged Quickbooks Support provider in USA. Flexible team to help small and mid-sized business, to manage their QB Online, Payroll, Mac Desktop and Online accounting.QuickBooks Support Phone Number

AOL Help 24/7 said...

Amazing Information. This information is really helpful for me. Thanks for sharing.
AOL Desktop Gold is multitasking software including advanced software and more security features. AOL Desktop Gold is different from another. Because Once you download the AOL Desktop Gold software access your data anywhere and also It permits to the user access their data or deal with email. If you are not able to Download AOL Desktop Gold Windows, then you need a complete guide to downloading the AOL desktop software at your system.

cally jesper said...

Wonderful Information. I see your post. Thanks for sharing with us.
Are you search Electrical Panel Repair services in Rancho Cucamonga. Todd Peters Electric offers reliable electrical services with skilled & trained electricians. To repair your damaged electrical panel, visit our website.

Accounting Data Solutions said...

Intuit Data Protect is providing safety to your QuickBooks Data. This won’t let you lose your data, compromise, or save from data corruption with high standards of encryption. While providing security to your QuickBooks data many issues happen in Intuit Data Protect, Even one single wrong step during the troubleshooting can lead to technical reversals such as data loss and corruption of data. Avoid all that by contacting the QuickBooks troubleshooting team at +1-855-738-0359. and redeeming the best troubleshooting services from certified


intuit data protect has stopped working


quickbooks error 6147 0