Saturday, December 31, 2011

My TOP 10 Favorite Photographs of 2011

My Top Ten Favorite Photographs of 2011 And Why

As I close out 2012, I wanted to take a moment to look back and review my year.  Many bloggers are reviewing their Top Ten Projects. Since I already kinda did that yesterday in my guest post over at Primitive and Proper,  I wanted to change it up a bit. 


Learning how to take images for a blog has been an amazing journey and a process that involves taking thousands of images.  Below are a collection my top ten images for the year.  If you have been following The Homeless Finch for a while, some of them might be familiar or resonate.  Some may seem obscure.  But they were not obscure to me. They also might not be my best, most technically prefect images either.  But they represent things that have mattered and I want to share. 


This images is in the first 20 images that I took during the week I started
The Homeless Finch.  It captures me well.  I have used it on the side bar for
the majority of the year. 


Woodsy's Debut. What started out as a yard sale find,
turned into a mascot of sorts for the studio. Woodsy
traveled from room to room handing out in many
vignettes this year.



Why this photo? Well, it was the first one I ever took of the first
ever tutorial that I wrote! I was so excited. I enjoyed showing the process.
This was a discovery for me. This is from a blog post in which
I describe how to make decor for a chandy.
This image was taken after a yard sale morning. I ended up using
a portion of this image (the basket front) as the background for my
blog logo. I cannot tell you how many times I have worked with this image.
The Homeless Finch
See the basket in the background?  It's from the image above.

Image taken when a friend brought me a few mangoes.  The Frangipani flower
is from my backyard. I use this image in my header in order to highlight the fact
that I live in a tropical location. It's a big deal to me because most of the
 blogging world is not about tropical things. Being from South Florida
makes me an outsider of sorts.   It was a huge personal step for me to 
step out and embrace it.
This was the moment that I crossed over from average photographs
of rooms to ooh la la! I still struggle getting decent shots inside my home,
which has a tendency to be kinda dark.   After setting this up and snapping it,
I actually got teary from the excitement of the results.
Love this pic of Tux, one of the birds in my studio aviary. I can't tell
you how much these little creatures mean to me. Tux is always starring me down!
First time I thought I might someday be capable
of magazine quality images.
First painting I revealed from my studio. I have a tendency to
really beat myself up on my work. It was a big deal for me to show this
on my blog. My sister's encouragement had a lot to do with it.
A photo of Tux and Seedo that I slightly altered. Seedo passed just days after this
image was taken. Tux has a new Seedo now, but there was something
special about this pair.

I ended the year with the most EPIC challenge of the year...25 Days of
craziness. The behind the scenes bloopers were incredible. From the day my
project kept blowing away in the wind, to the one I staged and during
 the moments I went for my camera a bird flew by
and pooped all over it!! It's been a run!
Thanks for being there for me this year.  I sincerely appreciate it and have enjoyed sharing the journey.

-The End-

9 comments:

Migelita discovers Colombia, South America said...

love all the photos! I am discovering a blog is time consuming, and I have to work very hard to get to where you art..Good job girly!

ARK said...

I loved this "journey" post...so interesting to see your work and hear your thoughts as you improved...the photo of your bed is fabulous!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

happy new year! you know how i feel about the painting- your sister was right to push you. :)

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Great images, Lesley! One of my new year's resolutions is to become a better photographer.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Lesley, the photo of your bedroom really is magazine quality beautiful!

I see all the lovely photos of "white" homes, but the challenge is getting a good indoor shot in an old home that is NOT!

We all need something to strive for in the new year, right?

Here's looking forward to what 2012 has to offer. Happy New Year! vickie

suzieQ said...

Hello, friend. Wanted to say, congrats to you for taking the plunge and tackling your fears...I can so relate! My goal this year is to begin posting my finds for sale on-line. I so enjoy the blogging community because we can reach out and touch people, we can encourage them with their dreams, commiserate with them through happy and sad times. It has been reassuring to find people who love the things that I do, to realize that there are other people who love to yard sale, go through junk and find hidden treasures.
Thanks for sharing so much of yourself through your blog; everyone who has a blog gives of themselves.

Patty Sumner said...

I love all of them! You do such a great job. May you continue to be blessed throughout the upcoming year!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Fabulous idea for a year end roundup, Lesley! I love your stories behind the photos. And the one of your bedroom is my favorite! Its gorgeous! Happy New Year!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love the blue basket.

lisa