Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fresh Paint

Started a new painting this past weekend.  I had to put it on hold because my studio is back torn up because of the repairs from the flood in the house.  But I thought I would show you a little peek at where it stands at this moment.

I have a long way to go, but I am starting to see it develop.  It is different than anything else I have done.  I am breaking rules that I haven't allowed myself to break and that feels great.  I realized the other day while I was working the space on the bottom that I have finally, truly broken free from the chains of my BFA college program.  I no longer hear the voices of past professors or well-meaning classmates.  I only hear my own voice and it feels right. 

It is amazing that so many of us, artists or not, rely so much on other people and their input in our lives.   It is often hard to stand in front of any project with only your own personal desires and dreams.  We all come to the game with some sort of preconceived notion of what is acceptable and/or what is expected of us.  It takes courage to stand up solely on our own two feet armed with only our personal ideal and push forward disregarding the voices around us.  I believe that no matter how hard this discipline is to stand firm to, it's essential in the creation of something fresh, meaningful and gratifying. 

I have no idea where this painting is taking me.  I have no idea if I will be satisfied with the finished product.  But....I do know that so much of what was tying me down has quit haunting me.  Hopefully my new found freedom will help me find the path that I have been looking for all along.  Has it been that far away?  Has it been all that elusive?  I am starting the suspect that it has been walking right beside me for years waiting for me to let go....

-The End-

3 comments:

Twice Nice said...

I believe you found your Mojo! What a beautiful piece you are creating. It has such a lovely floating quality that really seems to represent your main topic...letting go of others critiques, listening to your inner voice, believing in your visions. Great lesson for all us! I hope you'll share when you complete your painting. Deb

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I am loving this! Not only have you found your mojo you have found a voice!

Homeroad said...

Lesley I really like your painting! You are a great artist!
Susan