Monday, June 20, 2011

It's All About Toilet Paper

Many of you know that I am right smack dab in the middle of a renovation project on my master bathroom. In fact, I have obsessed written about this project so many times on my blog, that even I am getting sick of it!! I introduced the project back in my post I Refuse to Live in a Man Cave and showed you the before images of my master bathroom.  Here is one images just in case you missed it and don't want to link back to that post right now.

Since this image was taken we have replaced the shiny black floors with a lighter granite and I blogged about that too!


I had the room painted in the same yellow that we painted the bedroom. (You can get a sneak peek on the yellow wall in an image further down in this post.)  I have showed you the plans for the new cabinetry in my blog post Action! Forward Progress On The Master Bathroom.  You can click on that link if you want to take a peek at the design plans.  Suffice it to say, there have been plenty of other posts addressing different aspects of the decision making.  Currently, this project is in a stall, waiting for my cabinet maker to finish another project before he can get to mine.

Being stalled out doesn't mean that I cannot put together some of the details that I need to address.  For example, I need to do something about my toilet paper.  You say, "What?!  Why do I care about your toilet paper?!!"  Well, you probably don't, but I am going to talk about it. You see....I cannot and will not place the toilet paper roll back onto my freshly painted lemon yellow wall next to my toliet.  Why? You ask?  Well....because no matter how we install the holder, it keeps coming loose from the wall.  There isn't a stud in the wall in this area and even with anchors, it eventually pulls out of the drywall. 

Is this hysterical, or what?!

So what's a girl to do??  Well....find another solution.  The image to the right is a solution, but won't work for my location.  Besides, what the heck is that??  I mean, come on.  Really?!  
 
 I cold just run over to Bed, Bath and Beyond and pick up a chrome floor stand that will hold my toliet paper.  But why would I keep it that easy??  I mean, this screams for a little ingenuity and a project.....don't ya think?!   I just picked up this wooden 'thinga ma bob' at Goodwill last week and I decided to include this stand that I have had for years.  The stand has been everywhere in my house, mainly because I just haven't gotten rid of it and felt like I had to use it.  It's been more of a dust collector than anything.  Think it is time to put it to some use. 

Thinga ma bob

The stand fits perfectly.
But the finish is all wrong.
I would like to keep some of my personal products on the bottom shelf, but quite frankly am not interested in showing them off.  I need to disguise this box or cover it up.  I considered using this shutter to place on the front.  I got a pair of them at a yard sale a while back and just put it in my arsenal of project supplies.  I decided not to use it in this project because the heart cut out would sit right at the shelf level and won't block my view of that darn box. 

Standing here, I put my thinking cap on and came up with a solution and this is what I came up with.... I will custom make a basket out of wire and line it with a simple linen fabric. After all, I have seen this project done over and over out in blog land.  I figure it would take me less time to create this on my own then to hunt for a basket that would fit the space.
AttemptingAloha.blogspot.com
So this is one of my projects for the week.  When I complete it, I will show it to you.  I plan on painting the shelf white and heavily distressing it.  Not sure if the little drawer pull will stay.  It serves no function. There isn't a drawer.  Might have to come up with something a little more decorative for that area.  Stay tuned.

Don't forget about my 100th Follower Giveaway!  I am giving away these adorable mushrooms to one of my lucky followers!!  Entries close on Tuesday at Midnight.  Don't miss out!

-The End-

3 comments:

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Lesley-

Funny post. I think the Thinga ma bob is pretty unique. Even if it didn't pass the toilet paper housing test. The wire basket sounds like a good way to decoratively store the tp.
My best- Diane

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

This past weekend Funky Junk Interiors had a linkey party for "what is this piece of junk?" Did you enter it with your thingamabob? You totally should! AND, I am so scared of making my own basket, can't wait to see how yours goes!
xxx
Kim

Jen T said...

I admire all of your drive with these projects! I'm still stuck in my dumpy den ceiling painting job and don't feel like doing anything. I have a case of the lazy blahs, so until I snap out of it, I'm counting on you to finish all of this stuff so I can watch. Okay? Jen