Saturday, April 23, 2011

Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute!

Remember Woodsy Owl?  Back in 1970, the US Forest Service created this little mascot for the first Earth Day.  The Woodsy Owl campaign was developed and targeted, according to Wikipedia, to raise awareness of protecting the environment for children between the ages of 5 and 8 years old.  In 1970, I was 6 years old and I remember Woodsy Owl with the fondest of memories.  His motto was "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute." Woodsy taught me how important it was to be a good steward of the environment.  The campaign impacted me greatly.  Since it is Earth Day weekend, I knew that I wanted to engage in a project that would have made Woodsy proud.  
A pot in need of some
fresh plants.

I had two projects set up for myself.  First, since it was Saturday, I knew that I was headed out for my weekly yard sales.  If you read my post It's Saturday, Yard Sales, Yippee! you would know that I consider my yard sale activities somewhat of a 'recycling' program.  For the second earthy project, I decided to spruce up my front doorway with some fresh new plants. I hope to clean up my water garden, and possibly plant something new in the yard.  I realize that this isn't going to move mountains on current environmental issues, but hey, I am 'doing my part!' 

I darted out the door anticipating a yard sale extravaganza because of the Easter weekend.  It ended up being quite the opposite.  Not many sales.  I think to myself, "People must be chillaxin or getting ready for guests at their homes tomorrow."  I pull up to the first stop.  "Not much here. Darn."  But, you know my rule.....I must get out and look.  Am I glad that I did.  Once I walked up, the seller informed me that there was a ton of stuff in the house for sale.  "Awesome," I utter in excitement.  I browse through several rooms of books, clothes and stuff.  Nothing is doing anything for me.  And then.........there it was............. "You are kidding me." I think quietly to myself.  (In case you didn't know, you can think quietly.)   Anyway.....here he is.......

TADA!  
 My very own Woodsy Owl! (I realize that this isn't a replica of the real one. Go with this would ya?!)   This little guy stands about 10 inches high and was only 50 cents!  I snagged him.  "Hoot" have thought that I would have found him on Earth Day weekend at my first yard sale?!   I have plans for this little guy.  Reveal to happen here. 

At the final yard sale, I found this pretty neat cabinet.  It needs a lot of work, but I immediately took a liking to this 70s pieces of furniture.  Plus, I bought it for only 10 dollars! 
It has glass sliding doors and two shelves.  The base with the feet is seriously damaged.  It is one of the reasons I got it so cheap.  My hubby isn't a fan of this cabinet, but is giving me the benefit of the doubt knowing that I will do something to bring it back to life. 

Do you ever buy something and you can hardly wait to get home to use it?  Well, within 10 minutes of hitting the door, I was turning Woodsy into the owl that I knew he could be.
Using Valspar White Satin spray paint, I give this little guy the makeover he deserved!  Super quickie project with super results!  I mean, come on.....just look at him!
Here is the "Before" again, so you can compare them.

Woodsy will be hanging out in a special place sometime soon.  But for now, he is going to help me with my other project....the re-planting of that container pot and sprucing up of the front entry to my home.   Hope you have some sort of 'earth friendly' project in store for yourself.  It doesn't have to be a huge thing either.

So, I gotta run.  I got some planting to do. Remember, "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute!"

-The End-  

1 comment:

tofubeast said...

Love that owl!! What a find. Take me w/ you one Saturday!