Thursday, January 12, 2012

Following My Muse, Reminiscing of Times Gone By and An Owl That Needs A Name



It all started here...


Many of you who have been reading The Homeless Finch know that I have a thing for thrifting little owls and giving them the one, two White Satin three treatment.  Above is an image taken of my first makeover back in April of last year when my friend, Woodsy got his makeover and started his journey flitting and flying and nesting in various vignettes throughout my home during the year.

My owl collections are scattered, not clustered together.  I prefer to have them on lookout throughout my home keeping watch over what's happening and spread health and happiness when and wherever they roost.

A seasonal Wise Guy.

Add caption
This little guy above sits on my nightstand in my Master Bedroom.  He is one of the few that never moves around the house.  I like him here watching out at night while I sleep.  Hope he doesn't mind the snoring.

If you were looking closely, and I believe Cassie of Primitive and Proper noticed, one of my little guys made an appearance during my 25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series in the staging area around my Metallic Ornament Wreath.  Take a look...


Below is my Woodsy. Yes, he is my favorite and I don't make any excuses for it. After moving all around my house in 2011, I am sure you were getting tired of seeing him he found a final place to perch here inside a my kitchen cabinet that I converted into an open shelf.  


So why all the hoopla today over my thrifted owl collection?  Well, you got it. I have an addition.  But not just any ole addition.  This one is special.  Why?  Well, let me bore you with a story I'll tell ya because I know that you really want to know.  Here is my "new" addition...


This little feathered friend is my latest makeover, but he is my oldest owl.  Perhaps, he might just be the source of my fascination with these little stoic creatures.  You see, I painted him when I was 10 years old one summer at our family cabin in North Carolina.  

My parents would take us to this cabin every summer to trap us and torture us with boredom  (That one was for my sister.)  to give us the summer to run free and have fun in the cool air of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  We would all come up with projects to amuse ourselves. We did all kinds of stuff, like paint by numbers, decoupage, wood working, ceramics and crafting.  I  made birdhouses out of scrap wood and my father would hang them around the property.  I think this was probably the training ground that ultimately led me to where I stand now with The Homeless Finch Studio.  I always have my hands in something.  

A variety of images from back then.  The one to the far left is the day I brought home my first dog from a farm down the road.  I didn't own the dog that you can barely make out on the right, but he visited me everyday one summer.  He was an Irish Setter. I called him Red.  The center image was taken to show the Cherokee Roses that I planted and grew successfully. 
So back to this not-so-new owl in my collection.  You would think that he would have been my first makeover.  The truth is, I couldn't find him.  I knew that I had packed him in a box somewhere during a moment when I was done being laughed at for his ugliness.  My family was harsh at times. It was the way we showed our love. I know. Twisted.   But, hey, the truth.  

This past Fall, I found him in a box of old yearbooks and  stood back in amazement and excitement.  I had finally found this little guy! Yeah!  So why didn't I get my Valspar White Satin Spray Paint out and go to town?  Why did I not shout this from the top of my blog?  It's simple.  This guy was special.  He wasn't something cast off at a yard sale or thrift store.  He was my childhood memory and the idea of giving him the same treatment felt wrong.  So I waited for the inspiration.  

This past week... Eureka!  I came up with a plan.  He is perched outside my studio right now about halfway through the makeover and I cannot wait to show you the results.  I am allowing my Muse to takeover on this project and it feels awesome.   I will be back tomorrow with the reveal.   So check back in.

I do have one final question.  Should I name him?  If I do name him, what do you think it should be?  Can't wait to hear your ideas.  I'm outta here...I got a makeover to complete.

-The End-
Linking this post to:

15 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

what a fun post and how awesome that your family allowed you to grow so much creatively! i love that! i hope my kids are constantly doing things to keep their hands and minds busy and creative as well!
can't wait to see where this goes!

Twice Nice said...

Can't wait to see him! One of my little owls bit the dust in the wind the other day :-(. but I do have some reveals for soon along the same lines as your Woodsy.

I think you should name him. Hmm, how about something that might remind you of his early years, the location of the cabin, or the cabin's name if it had one, or maybe a family nickname for you when you were young.
Until tomorrow...Deb

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What a great story! I can't wait to see what you've done with him. And yes, I absolutely think you should name him--something reminiscent of his "heritage!"

Paulette said...

I will be back tomorrow for the big reveal.♥

Small Town Girl said...

You must name him something like the name of the town the cabin was in, the name of the cabin etc... It looks like we all are having the same idea! Can't wait to see his reveal!

KWalter said...

Can't wait to see the new owl!!!!

Lisa said...

OMG there's that ugly owl(wink)! Thank god you are doing something with that hideous work of 'art'?! LOL Love- your sister

Migelita discovers Colombia, South America said...

Love this story, and hey I noticed that little stool that was in the wreath picture for the first time! Made me smile that you have your owl on it..hugs

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Aren't you glad you found it? My daughter has a tree top angel I made in 5th grade that she loves (her husband doesn't share her opinion :@ ). But these pieces bring back the past and have a story to tell. Good thing your owl flew away from that white spray paint!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Lesley,

I adore your collection of owls.

My sister has been collecting them since she's a girl too.

I use to have an owl that lived in our yard. Every night he would look in my window. I kind of miss the old hoot! :-)

Dee

Bonnie Schulte said...

I see someone (Dee) already kinda thought of the same name I did. I think "Hoot" would be a cute name.

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Thanks for stopping by ReMadeSimple I'm a happy new follower. I love owls and have a few I'm going to spray paint as well to update them! Our blogs do have alot in common. Happy blogging.

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Oh I forgot to ask if you would like to do a button swap? If so let me know - Kristina

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Love the new owl! I think he should be named Van Gogh!

Grammy Goodwill said...

I'm so glad you found your long lost owl. How about "Forever", as in you've had him forever, or he makes you feel forever young? hehehe