Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ponderings from The Homeless Finch Studio: A Tempting Thought, Your Opinion Wanted, A Surprise and a Feature

Lately, I have been messing around in my studio making all sorts of jewelry for myself.  I haven't really blogged about it because, well, this stuff is for me.  Why does that matter?  Well, I don't want the concept of having to write a blog post about it to change the way in which I am creating this stuff.  Plus, I am trying,  I mean really trying, to stick to my knitting.  Being a right brain crazy person, brings with it challenges in the staying focused category. I have a tendency to go where my Muse beckons me.  Make sense?  

Last week, I pulled out a leftover piece of fabric from my sister's Swivel Chair for a Teacher Project from last summer along with an assortment of beads and stuff and created this bracelet for myself.

Even though it is not a piece of furniture or a home decor project, it has me written all over it.  It is filled with recycled, upcycled and recreated elements.  


I like this bracelet and I don't really care if anyone else does.  I showed it to my sister and to Deneen at dreamingincolor. Deneen thinks that I should make these and open up an Etsy Shop.  Well, I have an Etsy shop....problem is, it's empty.  It's always been empty.  My sis had an Etsy Shop a few years back and the thought of one...well, how do I put this? Scares me.  There I said it. Yep....I said it.

Today, I was messing around with an idea that I had to use paper roses on a ring.  The look isn't for everyone, but I like what I came up with...

Please ignore the ugly, wrinkly skin. 
I know that everyone who has an Etsy business works super hard maintaining their shops.  I just don't know if that is the direction I want to go with this stuff.  But it is a tempting thought.  I don't think I would limit myself to just the jewelry that I came up with, I might also include things like the Crazy LOVE Letter Sign I made this past week too.

So what do you guys think?  To Etsy or not to Etsy, that is the question.  I know that some of you have shops.  Is it worth the time and effort?  If so, what is your best advice?  Can't wait to hear back from you.

Before I leave today, I wanted to say THANK YOU to Deb over at Twice Nice for the amazingly lovely post she wrote yesterday.  It was one of those surprises that come out of nowhere...I never get those.  What a nice thing to uplift someone.  If you wanna read what she wrote about me and see her totally awesome lamp revamp, click here.

I also want to thank Gail at My Re-Purposed Life for featuring, she calls it Catch As Catch Can," my Mantel Makeover.
Photobucket


It's always such a wonderful surprise when someone likes what I do!  Puts a smile on my face!

The Homeless FinchI have a few more projects almost completed in my The Sweetest Days of Valentines Series. I also have my hands in a few other furniture related things too.  I'll be bringing them to you in the next few days!

Thanks for the support....and let me know what you think, good and bad, about Etsy! K?!

-The End-

16 comments:

Katie said...

It's funny you should bring this up, because I've been pondering over this same thing! And yes, it is incredibly terrifying! I worry that I wouldn't be able to keep the Etsy store stocked, or that I would get burnt out on it. I decided that I'm going to try a craft show first - just to see if people like the stuff I make. If it's a huge success, then I might consider a shop. But if it is too stressful and I don't sell anything, I may hold off. That was just a thought I had! Good luck!

Artsy VaVa said...

Your jewelry is beautiful! I think you could easily sell them. ETSY has made it so easy to list items that it doesn't take too long to list your pieces. Plus, it's inexpensive. It won't hurt to give it a try. If you can make such beautiful and creative pieces of art, then ETSY will be a piece of cake for you!

Anonymous said...

Your jewelry is awesome! I love how you did the bracelet. As far as Etsy goes, I have a store with vintage/antique pieces and it has been less than stellar. Etsy is not the best avenue for those items but it is fun to have them on there. My experience with handmade items has only been on the buying side and we have always been thrilled with what we have purchased. We have found everything just by searching the Etsy website - not from ads on other blogs etc. Etsy is super easy to use as a seller and it is really inexpensive considering other alternatives. Your pieces are great and would get out to a great audience!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

You've been quite the busy little bee making some very cute jewelry! :) I for one, never wear jewelry...the line of work I do, it's just not practical.
thanks for the shout out, I love "catching" great projects!
have a great weekend Lesley!
gail

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the ring and love the bracelet and yes to a shop! you would do well!!!
i have often thought about one and have one that sits empty, too.... the issue for me is that i stink at shipping and calculating shipping... and it's too much work to figure it out! ;) and taking pics of everything just so.... i just am to lazy for that! :)

Jemmmma said...

Hey Lesley,
Found you over at Catch as Catch Can. Love your blog! Gonna go peruse a little more.
Your newest follower,
Jeannie
maxwellhouseinteriors.blogspot.com

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

How nice to get a little shout out from blog friends. I've had the wind taken out of my sails by a Q & A over at Betsy Speert's Blog. I guess she answered my question, but in a mean spirited way. Ouch!

I've never really even looked at ETSY shops, so I couldn't advise you on that subject. But if it doesn't cost anything to start one up, I say go for it! You've got enough creativity to come up with new stuff all the time.

tofubeast said...

I think you would rock at Etsy, but what about starting small and shooting for the local indie shows? That could be a fun start and give you more face to face with the customers. You would get a sense of what is 'hot' of the stuff you are selling. OR do both!

Twice Nice said...

I think the Etsy shop idea is wonderful! I love the jewelry you have created, that ring is adorable, and the bracelet is amazing. Of course, you already know I love all of your creations, but I really do think that you have a gift for original thinking. It's easy for many of us to copy, but your gifts are bigger than that!Deb

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Etsy! Once you make the leap I think you will enjoy it. I think everyone is nervous to get started. Totally normal. The cuff and the ring are darling!!

Grammy Goodwill said...

I think you would do well with Etsy. Your work is so unique, and I think that's what people are looking for.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

You know how I feel about it! I believe you will do great!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

I think you should definitely Etsy! I click on etsy stores quite frequently that aren't stocked, so I think you can just list items as you have them, but not feel pressured to have it full all the time. You could post some jewelry you've made and take special orders for them, too.

Go for it! "There's nothing to fear but fear itself!" Oh, and I think your bracelet is adorable :)

Anonymous said...

Your jewelry is absolutely lovely....I especially like the sweet little ring. I think you would do well with ETSY. I too, have an empty ETSY shop but only because I sold out of inventory and then gave away everything else for Christmas and other gifts. Would love to get back in there....with your sense of discipline on getting projects finished, my bet is you'll do fantastically well!

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Cute love sign! and that mantal is an awesome find!

Lisa Montsion said...

The love sigh is super cute.

lisa