Friday, January 13, 2012

My Owl Gets a Makeover Inspired By Design Trends And Gets A Name Inspired By Friends

Yesterday I introduced you to this ugly, but cherished ceramic owl from my childhood in the blog post Following My Muse, Reminiscing of Times Gone By And A Owl That Needs A Name.  If you haven't read that post, I suggest you scroll back and read it first because it heavily informs this reveal.  For those of you who are too lazy don't feel like doing that right now, the short of it...I glazed this owl back during a summer when I was 12.  It was packed away in a box that I opened this past Fall.  I have an owl collection that most of my followers are aware of and probably sick of hearing about.  I always give the owls I find at yard sales and thrift shops a white makeover and they are perched in neat places around my house.  But, due to the history of this owl, I wanted to do something different. There.  You are caught up. Well, kinda.



So here is how it looked when I started.
-Before-

http://blog.olioboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01
/60806-the-vanity-fair-vintage-lifestyle.jpeg
I woke up a few days ago, was pretending to still be sleeping and thinking about the day ahead.  I wake up before the sun comes up often. My mind is rested and I sometimes get my most creative ideas in the still of the morning.  I was thinking about the 2012 Design Trends and which ones I thought spoke to my design styles.  One big trend of 2011, but predicted to gain even more of a prevalence is Metallic elements.  I can work with that one and quite frankly could use a little more of it in my decor.  But how, I thought?



This was my Eureka moment.  The one I talked about yesterday.  My owl would be the first entry into adding a few metallic accents to my home decor.  I thought about faux Mercury Glass, like the Mercury Glass Ornaments that I made back in December.  But, knowing that the owl was not glass, stopped that idea.  But how?  Well, I just decided to go for it.  Grab some stuff and see what happens...Let my Muse take over...  Here is what happened.

I rummaged through my paint supplies and decided to start with Rustoleum's Silver Metallic Spray Paint.


My owl is already looking better after two light coats of spray paint waiting 30 minutes in between. At this point, I decided that I didn't like the brightness of the surface.  I don't know if you can tell from the image, but this owl was screaming with brilliance!   I knew the piece needed some depth. I wanted to bring out the details that were lost and tone down the brightness of the surface.  What better way than with a stain or wash.

I let the paint set up over night.  I wanted to make sure that it had somewhat cured on the ceramic surface.  It also gave me some time to figure out what product I wanted to use next.  I considered watered down acrylic paint, but in the end settled on MinWax Stain in Dark Walnut.  I know...a little unorthodox, but hey, I was following my Muse!  (It's easier to blame someone else if things don't work out!)


I rubbed the full strength stain on with a soft cloth, let it set up for a few minutes and buffed it back up off the surface.


The stain remained in the crevices as I rubbed adding the depth and detail that I was wanting to achieve.  I was also pleased that the stain had help tone down the brilliance of the silver paint.  It created a nice patina on the piece.



I had planned to add a third step, but was so excited about the results, I stopped.  Sometimes, ya just gotta know when not to overwork something.  In this instance, that applied.  But, I had one more important issue to solve.  What to name this sweet creature...

Many of you suggested that I pick a name that related to the cabin where I spent my childhood summers.  A few thought a town name might be appropriate. It got me thinking.  The nearest town, and the phone book that we were listed in could be a great name, but it sounded female.  All my owls are 'hims.'  So I thought, "Why do my owls always have to be male?  What is up with that dynamic?"  If you take a look at this owl, it  looks super majestic, all knowing and protective.  So why not a she?  Why not, right?!!   So...introducing...  

Sylva 



By the way...  The irony of the name Sylva and the silver surface was not lost on me.

This is my favorite makeover of the year! Well, actually there have only been two, so I guess Sylva didn't have much competition.  My son is upset that I re-surfaced Sylva.  He said that he like the ugly owl.  Nice kid I got here.  Might need to get his eye re-checked.  (wink)

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me ideas for names.  I also want to say Thank You to Cassie at Primitive and Proper for her great photo holder idea made out of glass insulators.  I placed one of my favorite images of myself, my mother and my younger brother standing near the cabin with blooming dogwood trees in background.  My mom loved it when they bloomed.    Oh! and...Rosemary?!  Yes, those are the little bottles with antique keys that I bought from your Villabarnes Etsy Store!   Glad you noticed.  

The change is dramatic.  Just look at this before and after collage...



Perched alone without her ugly former self next to her.....



-The End-
Linking this post to:
                             

        

26 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I was one of the lazy ones who didn't scroll back. lol I love what you did with Sylva. Why not a female indeed. Metallics have an expensive feel. Great job giving her a demure look with the stain.

Cassie Bustamante said...

ooh yes yes yes!!!!!!! i LOVE it!!!!!!! am going to have to try this! have been thrifting the last two days and yesterday i took emmy with me. she spotted an owl for the wall- i didn't even see it! that's my girl. :) today i found an vintage owl teapot- so fun! i need to paint it and save it for when we have open shelving one day...

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

You're a riot Lesley. Yes, I did notice the bottles, but I'd already hit publish, and was being "lazy" about making another comment. lol Your email made me come back. I'm glad they found a good home with you my friend.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

LOVE her, Lesley! Such a transformation. Great choice with the silver, and the stain takes it up another notch. :)

Kahli said...

You did a hell of a job! This looks exactly like my metallic owl that I purchased from Homegoods for $16. Amazing!

http://designpardeux.com/gray-sideboard/

Twice Nice said...

Sylva, love it! Well, crud, now I need to get my silver paint out and spray it on something. That turned out gorgeous, and I really like it with the stain patina. Beautiful, beautiful owl Lesley! I think I'll just name you MY muse and follow along, cuz I like everything you come up with! Deb

Grammy Goodwill said...

so I'm a day late (and a dollar short, if you know that saying)with my other comment, but I love Sylva. She looks spectacular!

Tammy said...

Hi, I'm kind of a stalker and not really a commentor but that looks GREAT. And I'm not even a huge owl OR silver person. I'm already wondering how the horse in my living room would look w that treatment!

Nice job!

Tammy

Unknown said...

Dearest Lesley ,
You are a magician That Sylva owl is so cool ! I like silver and I love how you let the muse play the music and you listened to it and danced to it and came up with this great piece of art ! it is special and beautiful

-KAT-

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

This is destined to be a treasured heirloom. I love that you kept something from your childhood and made it work now. Well done.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Slyva is lovely! Your whole little vignette is darling.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

She does have more regal presence now!

Migelita discovers Colombia, South America said...

perfect!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Owl Mantel - funny we both are talking owls this week! Love Sylva - she's hot so you better keep all the guy hooties away from her! So fun that you could redo a childhood find! Following along!
Kelly

Mack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simply Salvaged said...

I thirifted an owl that was exactly like this one. I chose satin white for the color but I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you did with yours.

Diane said...

Fantastic! Sylva has a very pricey high end look to her and the detail just pops. Love it. I am new to our blog and look forward to your posts.

KimMalk said...

I've had an owl sitting and waiting for me to do something with it. This turned out just perfectly. A great mix of glamor and whimsy. BTW 2000 hits on one post is GREAT!

Kristina @ ReMadeSimple said...

Very cool! I love the metallic trend and owls too-and was thinking of spraying my owls too-but hadn't thought of the stain-I love how the stain adds a golden color and nice patina! I would love to try it-thanks for the inspirationa and all your kind word on my blog too :)

debbie refresh restyle said...

Love the makeover, I've got two little owls that need a new look too!
Debbie

very merry vintage style said...

What a great makeover! It looks amazing!
Mary

PuppyLovePrincess said...

so cool! i LOVE your makeovered owlie! GREAT idea :)

Lauryn Ashli said...

wow! i love this. what a great new look for this owl!
{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

I found your owls long lost twin at the Thrift Store yesterday! I will be using your method to create my very own "Sylva". I'm sure my daughter will think of some ridiculous name for her!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That is gorgeous, Lesley, and I like that this is something you've had from your childhood. The stain definitely adds depth, especially to the wings. Great piece updated for today!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how the owl looks in sliver.

lisa