Monday, January 30, 2012

A Transformed Vintage Mantel Find A Home In My Master Bedroom


Remember the mantel that I revealed in "How To:Vintage Mantel Gets A Makeover" last week?  Was that two weeks ago? Oh well, whatever...I revealed it.  (throat clearing noise)  Well, I have finished installing it to the wall in my Master Bedroom and have thrown together the beginnings of a vignette.  Still working out the kinks, but I wanted to show it to you as it stands now.

Here is the before and after...but of course before installation.  
My Master Bedroom is not outside in my backyard!!!  



I bolted it to the wall, like a good little ole DIYer using two "L" brackets and wood screws that I tapped straight into the bead-board on the wall, making sure to touch up the brackets with leftover paint from when we painted the bead-board.  Here is the mantel sitting on the wall to the right of a built-in, recessed television cabinet.



I found the neat enameled tub with stand a few years back at an outdoor flea market.  I love keeping my extra throw blankets piled up in it.  The little vintage suitcase has been altered with an antique finish, including a few french style decoupaged motifs and is filled with a few things I don't want laying around.                                                                                                                                          The top of the mantel has a variety of treasures including a neat pair of babies shoes, a vintage door knob, an iron dove finial from a antique iron bed that is sitting off to the right beyond the image, my great grandmother's white chamber pot and a self-portrait sculpture I made a few years back out of terracotta.  I'm holding a blue bird in my hands. Always rescuing something or someone.
I plan on taking a little more time to dress this mantel. I am thinking the addition of some dried hydrangea flowers in the chamber pot would look pretty.   I would also like to paint a 3 by 3 foot abstract landscape for the wall above it.  But for now, it is just okay with me.  
-The End-
This post was featured at:
Linking this to:



21 comments:

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

I added one of these photos to your feature on Knick of Time Tuesday tonight, Lesley! Thanks for sharing & torturing me!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time
(aka - the woman without a mantle of her own)

Katie said...

I love it Lesley! You little are is so warm, and inviting! The mantel looks great in your Master bedroom!

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I love it Lesley! I was out rambling around for the store the other day and found an antique one, and oversized at that, for a really reasonable price and didn't get it because I didn't have the room for it, but now really wish I had gotten it. Isn't that the way it always is? Have a great week.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What a pretty display! It will be so fun to change as the mood strikes you. I *love* that tub on the stand...what a great find!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. Love every bit of it! Is the little baby face hanging from the satin ribbon one of your ceations, also?

Now I'm really motivated to paint the ugly cherrywood electric fireplace Bill won for our dining room. Good thing you-know-who didn't see THAT! :@

Congratulations on the feature (one of many, I'm sure)at Knick of Time!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is such a happy vignette.... it has me wanting warmer weather, and spring greens, and lemon meringue pie.

Patty Sumner said...

It is simply beautiful! Great job and BIG difference......Wonderful redo...blessings!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great job! Love the new paint color! My daughter is looking for one of these for her new house. I saw one last week, but it needed way too much work.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Lesley,

It looks amazing!!! I love how you decorated it. So many wonderful treasures.

Dee

Revi said...

What a cozy element! And what a different look for the mantel! It probably breathed a sigh of relief. :)
-Revi

Dusty McRae said...

Just beautiful!!!!

Sam I Am...... said...

Love what you did to the mantel! You are very talented especially with your 3-D self-portrait! Wow! I love all your decorations that you used to dress it up too. The tub is awesome! I collect wool for my fiber arts and I cold just see one of those filled with colorful woolen swatches too! LOL! I've never seen anything like that with a stand. You certainly did a beautiful job on all of it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Grammy Goodwill said...

That mantel looks great. You did such a wonderful job. I also really like that enameled tub you have with it.

Between Blue and Yellow said...

oooooh, so pretty!

Courtney said...

I LOVE this! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
OOH! AND, I'm your newest follower! ;)
www.betweenuandme.com

Unknown said...

wow I love your style and ambition !

-KAT-

chateau chic said...

Love the transformation of your mantel. If I could, I'd have a vintage mantel in every room. They are so fun to decorate.
Your newest follower, Mary Alice

Marilyn Holeman said...

Hi, I saw your link at The Shabby Creek Cottage. This is lovely. I love the colors. But I think the pitcher is part of a bedroom ensemble that would be used to wash hands in the bedroom. I don't know the correct term for it.

However, a chamber pot would be used at night instead of a trip to the outhouse! It was often stored under the bed. :-)

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love your mantle and the tub! You did an awesome job on them. I'm impressed!

Toodie said...

LOVE IT!

Lisa Montsion said...

I love any room that is painted yellow.

lisa