Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ponderings From The Homeless Finch Studio: I'm in the Doldrums A Little Bit Over My Messy Studio

It's Sunday.  Sunday use to be a day when we got all sorts of projects done around the house.  "Use to be" meaning, those days have long gone!  As we have grown older and my husband more engaged in his career, this just doesn't happen anymore.  He just isn't interested in doing weekend projects.  For him weekends are about riding bikes, going to lunch, watching golf and going out on his boat.  That all sounds really nice. Right?!  Well, it is unless you have a studio that looks like this...



One big mess.  It has been like this for months.  Don't get me wrong.  It has been better and worse than these images.  At one point during my 25 Days of Christmas and Holiday Series, you could not even walk around in my studio!  My sister saw it and was visibly shocked.  The problem is that I just don't have any closets in this space and I have no way of storing all my supplies in a way that doesn't look cluttered.

Yes, I have seen all the wonderful studio spaces out there. Most of them look very nice in photographs. Many of them aren't very practical and, quite frankly, how do I pull them off?  I cannot do it on my own. (Yes, I realized that you are shocked because it seems I can do anything. Wink.)   So here I sit writing this blog post in a rant over my dilemma.  So for now, I will just dream of the amazing studio spaces that I see and imagine that these were built during times when weekend projects were a part of my life.

Cabinet_wall
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2007/07/the-new-studio.html

The PinkLovesBrown design studio is inspiring with its tall, color-coordinated shelves
keeping everything organized and easily accessible. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinklovesbrown/2979608898/in/pool-handmadespaces)

This is zany...but coolio!
http://justsomethingimade.com/2010/07/studio-shots/
Source, unknown. 

craft-room-studio
http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/

Ahh......maybe someday.  For now....I guess I better just go and re-organize this mess knowing that it will look like this over and over again until the studio help fairy comes to visit!

-The End-

14 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

those last two are AWESOME! i love those rooms! i know you can make your space just as awesome!

Grammy Goodwill said...

Just here to cheer you up - how about if you picture me tripping and then falling down the steps at church today, if I told you first that I was okay? Did that work? Did you smile even a little? Good, because that didn't really happen but I can't think of anything funny! You don't need a neat studio - you are so creative without it.

Karen Isaacson said...

I spent a glorious 12 hours in my studio yesterday and it looked like yours at about 3 different times. I'm organized in a cluttered kind of way - everything has it's own space and bucket and basket, but as I work I leave a trail of supplies around the room and it looks like a bomb went off. I pick it up and start all over again.
those fancy studio pictures are fun to look at, but you know what? they don't actually look like anyone CREATES in them. at least your mess shows the tremendous amount of energy and productivity that surrounds your work!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Oh, come on. Of course I love those spaces, but my inspiration often comes from something I trip over. lol I've accepted the fact that my work space will continue to be a work in progress. It can be nice, and it can be horrific. I try to keep it somewhere in the middle. lol I'm looking forward to seeing what unfolds with your space my friend.

tofubeast said...

Sounds like you need to make THIS your next big project, with a before and after. The shelving unit in the 2nd pic down is from IKEA. It's the same one we have in our entry way. Lots of things you can do to organize and make up for lack of closets. I think an organized Finch will make for a happier birdy. Spring cleaning done early.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I love to look at organized spaces, and dream....but the reality is that I am *always* searching for a pair of scissors, the wood filler, the right size screwdriver, and my sanity...
You are not alone!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I so feel your pain! Your inspiration pictures are so cool...but in real life I can't imagine them ever STAYING that way. My sewing room is in what used to be my daughter's bedroom. There are still 2 twin beds, a dresser and nightstand in there that I have to work around. I took over a corner and bought a $20.00 table and 2 plastic shelving units. I would LOVE to clear the room and start over with one whole wall of IKEA bookcases. Not sure that's ever going to happen though. It's a huge project and not one I can do on my own. So...I'll just keep plugging away in my little corner. You do the same. Clean up and organize as much as you can and then forget about it. What we can't change we need to accept. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Migelita discovers Colombia, South America said...

I have been an organizer from way back..however it always ends up messy in places I use a lot..so try to organize and be happy if it stays sort of uncluttered. I truly appreciate your dilema

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

These are all great rooms Lesley, but I bet very few projects are ever done in here! At least that is the way it looks to me. Anyhoo, when I have everything all organized, I can't find anything!!! Have a great week!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

I feel your pain! Mine always looks like this from September-January (birthday party planning-Christmas). lol! I LOVE the example rooms. If only I had the space for something like that! Stunning!

You need to come join my monthly challenge. January is organizing your space!! :)

Twice Nice said...

I spend a tremendous amount of time and energy organizing because I often feel like you, only to turn around a fall over a pile her and a pile there that just never seems to get put away even when I have the great bookshelves! To be honest I've either outgrown the shelves I have or I seriously need a hoarders anonymous session and a reality check! If anyone can doll up a worspace it is you! Deb

Anonymous said...

i feel your pain. Professional organizers all say have a home for everything and then return it to its home. you look like you are experiencing my dilemmaa - where is the home for these things to be returned to ?????????????????? do thecritics reallly think this is our preferred way of living ???????

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

We are all creative geniuses and don't have time to clean up our spaces! LOL
YOU are NOT alone! So I will help you if you help me! Want to come to Nashville?

Unknown said...

....ME Too !

-KAT-