Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Sweetest Days of St. Valentine Series: Velvet Heart Place Card Holder

Are you planning a Valentine's Day Party?  I have been to a few over the years and they can be a lot of fun.  Today, I am showing you a neat idea for a Place Card Holder that can also be paired as a Take Away Gift.   My sis thinks they would also be fun for a Valentine Day Wedding Favor.  The velvet heart on a stick and the clear glass pot (actually a votive candle holder) can be purchased at your local Dollar Tree.


This is a pretty straight forward project, so I won't bore you with a ton of images.  Here is a basic materials list and instructions.

Materials
Mini Clear Glass Pot (Dollar Store,votive holder)
Velvet Heart on a Stick (Dollar Store, 8 per pack)
Tiny piece of Styrofoam
Green Felt
A package of Conversation Hearts
Papers for the name tag 
Scissors (straight and scalloped)
glue stick, hot glue 
green thread
Sewing Needle or Sewing Machine

1.  Cut a small piece of styrofoam to fit into the pot. You want to make sure there is enough room around it to fit conversation hearts between the styrofoam and the sides of the glass pot.  Hot glue it to the bottom.

2.  Take one velvet heart on a stick, clip off about an inch or two from the bottom of the stick, and stab it into the center of the styrofoam.  I clipped it down because I thought the height looked better.  

3.  Cut two leaf shapes out of green felt.  Either stitch the green veins onto the leaf using a thread and needle or pop on your sewing machine, fitted with green thread.  I used a light green so that it would show better against the kelly green felt. I ran a narrow satin stitch to form the veins.  If you are hand sewing, you might want to consider using embroidery floss.  

4.  Hot glue the leaves onto the stick overlapping them and slanting them slightly upward.  

5.  Make the Name tag. My tag has three layers.  I used a clipping from an old dictionary for the base.  I coated the dictionary paper with Mod Podge to give it a slight shine.  The middle layer is just a plan piece of red scrapbook paper.  The name was printed out from my computer and cut out using a scallop edge scissor.  I used a glue stick to adhere the layers of paper to each other and a dollop of hot glue to affix the tag to the glass pot.

6.  Fill the pot with conversation hearts making sure to cover up the styrofoam. 

Quick and easy.  This can be replicated in large quantities at a very low price and in very little time.  If you look closer at the photo, I have included one of my paper flower rings on the rim of the pot.  If I were to throw a party, I might include something like that for my girlfriends.  Just an extra idea.  

Hope you liked this fun little idea.  It's sweet...in more ways than one!




Stay tuned for another great project in my series 

The Sweetest Days of St. Valentine!  


8 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is so cute- i love the added paper flower!
and it's funny because those convo hearts are THE valentine's decoration....they are used for so many decor ideas. but my question.... does anyone actually like to eat them? i don't , but i sure do like to fill things wth them! :)

Grammy Goodwill said...

This is such a cute project. Adding the leaves - and the detailed stitching on the leaves is what makes your idea so creative. I also like the way you added layers to the name tag, not to mention the ring!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I need to check out the dollar store more often! Very cute with the addition of the paper flower. I actually do like those candies, but cracked a molar on them a few years ago, so I don't eat them anymore. ( I hate going to the dentist ).

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Lesley,

So sweet! Cute project.

Dee

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How cute is that! Love the ring! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Anonymous said...

adorable!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Where is the tutorial of how to make this ring? Im waiting.......

Lisa Montsion said...

I want to eat those Valentine candy's in the cup.

lisa