Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wintry Decor On My Pine Table for Blahuary

If you are anything like me, January can be Blahuary.  The holidays are over and the festive decorations are pack away.  The weather outside isn't the cheeriest.   In many places, it's downright cold and miserable.  But, ya can't give in.  Ya gotta get up and take the best part of this month and embrace it.   You gotta jazz things up a bit!

My sister and I started an tradition of thinking ahead for January.  I try to give her a Christmas gift that is home decor related, but is suited for after the holidays.  I gave her this neat silver and white throw pillow from Pier One.  She put it on her bed.  We both try to make an effort to pick up a little something new just so we have a few fresh accents to bring out and spruce things up a bit.  It keeps the winter blues away.  

 

This year my friend Danielle, whom I like to call Dani, gave me this snowy owl.  She knows how much I love owls and of course I loved it!  It hung near a lamp in my living room for most of the holidays, but I don't consider it a "holiday exclusive" item.  I knew I had bigger and better plans for him.  So when the holidays ended, I got to work.  Dani's gift has a second life to live.

You might remember my blog post about the Homemade Mercury Glass Ornaments.  If you miss it and want to see how I created them using mirror paint, click HERE.  I place the completed balls into a primitive dough bowl that I have with a few other natural elements like pine cones and fresh holiday greens.








White & Siver Sphere Mix




Now that the holidays are over, I removed the greens and added a few little spheres from a White and Silver Sphere Mix I bought after Christmas from Pier One for a song.  I placed my little Snowy Owl into the mix. 



I love the little, crinkled wire balls.






I wanted to add a simple white table runner, but since we are 'recovering' from the holiday spending spree, I decided to make do with what I already had.  Remember the blog post from my 25 Days Series showing how to make Festive, Funky Doily Christmas Trees?  Well, if you recall, I bought a huge supply of assorted doilies from a yard sale for about 8 bucks.  Having plenty leftover from the project,  I got them out and fashioned a 'table runner' of sorts using varying sizes of doilies to create it.










I took bright white candles and placed them on two Dollar Store candle stick holders that I sprayed down with leftover Valspars Metallic Silver Spray Paint from the Metallic Ornament Wreath that got so much attention last month.  
Ugly, with a capital U.
Ooh la la!





















Simple, clean and quick.  I have something fresh for my Pine Table without spending a dime. 



Is this the greatest table scape I have ever created? Absolutely not.  But I don't believe that every single thing I do has to be over the top and neither should you.  After all, we are all recovering from the holidays. 

Do you have a few little 'somethings' leftover from the holidays that could be used to create wintry jazzy pizazz on your table, mantel or sideboard? You don't have to completely leave behind the sparkle and glamour of the holidays!  You certainly don't want to leave it all bare and blah either.  After all, there is no reason to have a Blahuary when you can have Jazzuary!  So much more fun that way...

-The End-
Linking this post:
          homework

               
       

20 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

you know if you throw a white owl in there that i will love it, right? :) well i do!!!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

I think it looks great, Lesley! Stylish, simple, and thrifty. Win! :) And that owl is too adorable.

CJ Foss said...

Love the phrase "recovering from the holidays" as if it is a disease, and for many of us, it is. I love the simplicity of the wood bowl, pine cones, and touches of winter white. Nice. Happy Thursday. ~CJ

Twice Nice said...

Gaaaa, I love that pillow! I NEED pillows. The owl is the cutest thing I have seen in forever. He should be featured all year long, IMHO. I think your table scape is perfect. The first few days after Christmas I miss all the sparkle, then I think it feels so refreshing to simplify! Deb

Patty Sumner said...

Looks great! Ilove stopping by and enjoying all your wonderful decor ideas. Blessings!

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Just right! Love what you have done bringing everything together!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

SV said...

Great post Leslie! You had me laughing at Blahuary :-) I'm going to have to start using that little nugget!

Okay, I loved your comment on the clutch! I'll happily add the clutch to the shop just for you! And maybe a few more too. Emailing you...

Carolyn said...

Beautiful! Of course, I love the owl. If you have a moment, I would be thrilled if you shared this on my Inspiration Board {link party}. I know my readers would love it.
http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2012/01/inspiration-board-link-party-31.html
carolyn - homework

Jeanne said...

ooooh. nice tool box on the table!.
xo jeanne
bees knees bungalow

tofubeast said...

Yay! I knew you would put that little owl to good use!! He/she looks so cute in that table centerpiece. I like how you were able to still use the glass balls too. Thanks for the shout out! ;)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I have a similar wooden bowl filled with similar pinecones ;-) I think I need a similar owl!

Unknown said...

thank you for the inspiring post ! I plan to have an exciting Jumpin' January ! I'm exercising,.. (not really jumping) but moving more and using little 3lb weights to firm up the jiggly parts.. Ive started out the new yr with a few new pains and having some tests done to figure things out. but I won't let it get me down... no way ! Keep the great posts coming ! I will check in every time you post !

- KAT -

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I can hardly wait to have my house back to normal! I'll be zipping around like the Tazmanian Devil stashing away my Christmas stuff. Love your Jazzuary tablescape!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

You're absolutely right Lesley. You don't have to go over the top to have a beautiful vignette. I love that owl.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

My eye went right to the tool tote and the dough bowl. Love them both!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty your snowy owl is! I love your candlestick transformation.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Cute owl! I like silver and did my dining room in it for Christmas. It also reflects light to help with those blahs!
My post are still not showing up dont know what to do!

Ann said...

Just found your blog by browsing. I love what you did with your wooden bowl. You have given me some ideas for mine. It does seem kinda gloomy in Jan so new ideas are wonderful.
Ann

Ann said...

Just found your blog by browsing. I love what you did with your wooden bowl. You have given me some ideas for mine. It does seem kinda gloomy in Jan so new ideas are wonderful.
Ann

Lisa Montsion said...

I love those pine cones there.

lisa