Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ponderings From The Homeless Finch Studio: Little Surprises That Make Life Sweet

It's cold today. By cold, I mean in the lower 50s with wind chills in the upper 40s.  I know for most of you, that just isn't cold.  But for us down here in South Florida, where the wet winds kick up, it's chilly! Brr.  But I am thankful this time of year to be living in a warm climate.  I am not a snow person at all and would probably weigh 300 pounds if I lived in the north due to the fact that cold weather drives me inside under a blanket!

I awoke this morning filled with creative juices and an idea for making something inspired by a series of different blog posts that I have pinned on my Pinterest page.  Perhaps my daughter and I will tackle this idea together, if she ever gets out of bed! (teenagers)

As I was sipping my morning java, I took a look out back.  I was happy to see a blue sky today that is destined to warm up the cold, breezy air.  I think to myself that maybe I will also start to tackle that mantel makeover if it becomes warmer out there.


As I am glancing around, I see something out of the corner of my eye.  My eyes trail back. I cleared my crusty eyes to make sure that my vision wasn't playing tricks on me.  But it wasn't.  This is what I saw...

Look closer at the Pygmy Date Palm.  Do you see that little fuchsia flower peeking out from the ball of the tree where the frowns shoot out?!  That, my friends is an orchid bloom.  It is NOT just your average bloom either.  It is a bloom from the toughest little orchid plant I have ever owned! I haven't seen a bloom from this plant in eons!!  A few months back, I moved it to this new location in the hope that I could help this plant thrive better.  TADA!

I know...I am a weirdo here.  While the rest of the blog world is posting amazing projects and ideas, I'm talking about an orchid blooming in my backyard.  But for me, today...at this moment...this is my little miracle.   I am taking a moment to breath in and enjoy the little gift that nature gave me today.


Are you keeping yourself open to noticing the miracles in your life today?  Sometimes, they jump out at you like this little purple-y pink delight!  Sometimes they come in the form of discovering that your teenagers who stayed up too late laughing, starving you of much needed sleep, where just goofing around and acting silly.  The evidence was clear this morning as I fired up my Facebook page to discover they had changed their profile pics to this....

This marks the first time I have ever shown my kids on my blog!
I know they will be so excited to see that I did this!!! (wink)

Ya gotta just laugh. Goofballs....  Enjoy the day! I know I will.  Stop and enjoy the beauty and goofiness around you.  They are fleeting moments that make life all the sweeter...

-The End-

9 comments:

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I, too, get excited to find an unexpected bloom to brighten my morning. What a pretty flower!

I'm sure your kids were laughing hysterically when they changed out their picture. Oh, they make life fun, don't they?

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Glad to see that your kids are close...that they are friends. My kids are 28 and 25. They live 7 hours away from each other but they talk several times a day. The wonders of technology. Recently when my daughter's heart was broken it was her brother who came to the rescue and pulled her out of a dark hole. I am blessed beyond measure that they have each other. Looks like you are too. Happy Sunday Lesley.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Beautiful flower - lovely kids!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Unknown said...

Voldemort BEWARE two Harry Potter's are born !

lovely post Lesley ! Ill keep one eye out for my little yet pretty surprise today .
I hope I spot one or two also

-KAT-

Grammy Goodwill said...

I noticed your flower right off, but I didn't know what it was. Once you said it was an orchid, I was even more impressed. I agree that things like that can bring us up short and help us remember what is important.

Twice Nice said...

Reminds me of our trees in Hawaii and the beautiful orchids! Man, I miss that! Love that picture, that one will bring smiles to all of your faces for years and years and years. Deb

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

The flower and the kids--all things of beauty! Thanks for the sweet reminder ;-)

Cassie Bustamante said...

that orchid is amazing and so beautiful! i am so glad it is thriving now!
and your kids are a hoot! i love that they hijacked your profile pic!

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

OH Lesley, I bet ya'll are about frozen! We are suppose to be at 70 today, but turning colder and down in the 20's before morning. It is gloomy and raining here now, so ya can't enjoy it. Oh how I would love to see something green, anything, and something budding out! I can't wait to see what you do with the mantle!