Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An Unconventional Risk Taken On My Cabinet Door Makeover Works- Project Update

I am busting at the seams!!!  I just purchased 15 of these little knobs from Hobby Lobby Online for my master bathroom cabinet makeover!  My heart is skipping beats, and it isn't because of my new high blood pressure meds either, so quit with that one! It's because I love these little guys and they just the tiny splurge I needed to keep me going.  You see, this has been a labor intensive project for me and I needed a little pick me up!

I am trying something super unconventional with the cabinet doors. So far, so good.  It is working out.  Here is a sneak peek of what's happening.  Since the image below was taken, the bath has gotten new lighter floors, lemon yellow walls, and several new accents including the Chippy Cabinet that I showed you last week.
Before

Right now, I am working diligently on these cabinets.  I hated them.  Just hated them.  Too contemporary for my tastes.  A cabinet guy wanted $10,000 to give me new cabinets in this room!! What!!?  I think not!  I don't mind the interior of the cabinets at all.  I just don't like the aesthetics, so off they came.  But I didn't replace them, I am altering them. Yep, altering...  Here is a sneak peek...


 
I had my helper Ed decoratively router out the center of these melamine doors.  I was a little nervous about this part, because this really isn't his specialty, but as you can see it worked!  We added bead board to the center.  Yesterday, I gave them a good sanding with my Bosch Sheet Lock 2.0 sander to roughen up the mica-like surface.  I then sprayed a coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 primer from my new Graco Spray Station 3900.  That primer is amazing stuff.  It will cling to anything!  I was pensive about how the exposed melamine was going to react to the primer and was pleased to see that all is great!  No warping. No chipping or flaking.

It's a little windy today, but I am hoping to get the first coat of white paint on doors.  I am using Sherwin Williams Duration in one of my favorite white shades, Alabaster.  I painted the White Shutters with the same paint. 

I have left some of the original black granite in this bathroom in some places, so I am so excited to have found these knobs at Hobby Lobby.  I think they are the perfect touch to tie it all together.  I'll be watching for the Brown Truck to pull up in the next few days!!  Enjoy the day!  I know I will...

-The End-

9 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Wow! You are an adventurous soul! I can't wait to see the finished look!

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the knobs and i can't wait to see where this goes! alabaster is one of my favorite whites, too!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Wow! I love the difference already.

Dee

P.S.

Your button works :-)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh.. I would love to do something like this.. I can see why you fell in love with those handles.. They are gorgeous. Cant wait to see when you are finished..

Hugs, Linda

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Neat knobs Lesley. That didn't sound right. lol I like your hardware choice. That's better. I can only imagine how cool the finished project will be. Can't wait.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

This is gonna be good Lesley I can feel it!!!! Love the knobs too!

Lindsey said...

wow, what a difference on the doors! i saw the later post with a sneak peek at the doors, i never would've thought to do that. great job!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

it looks fabulous!! Nope use DIYer's are not going to shell out $10,000 dollars can't wit to see it done, it looks fabulous!

Carol

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how the corners are black. They look really good in black.

lisa