Saturday, November 12, 2011

Flea Market Chippy Window Adds Extra Texture To My Tablescape

A local collectibles mall sponsored a flea market this morning.  I grabbed my go cup of coffee, my hubby and a few friends and headed out to check it out.  We were somewhat disappointed because most of the participants were heavy on the pricing.  You gotta wonder why?  I wanted to stand back and loudly say, "Hey people!  It's a flea market!  What's with the pricing?!" 

Well....in the end, one of my friends bought a neat "I Like Ike" campaign button for 3 bucks and I found this neat chippy window pane for 10 bucks.  As we walked out to our cars, that same friend asked me what I was going to do with the window.  I told him that I would use it in a backdrop for photo shoots with my Homeless Finch furniture makeover.  But for know, I tucked it into this sweet little tablescape in my master bedroom. 

I love the layer and texture that it adds sitting in front of the antique bed frame that I have leaning on the wall behind this farmhouse work table.  This little lady is a sculpture that I made a few years ago.  She is made out of terracotta clay, glazed with flat, chalky off white under glaze.  She stands holding a little blue bird in her up-faced palms.  The ironstone bedside pitcher was handed down to me from my southern grandmother on my father's side of the family. 

Keep your eye out for interesting windows frames, doors and such when you are searching around yard sales and flea markets.  They make wonderful backdrops and add interest for very little money.  I didn't come home with a ton of goodies today, but I'm happy with this fun find.  It was also enjoyable to spend the morning strolling and chatting with friends.  Win, win.  Get out and enjoy the day!

-The End-


10 comments:

Katie said...

Oh I love it!! I bought a few old windows that I'm still working on! I love windows - you can use them for practically anything! Love the new blog look too!

Unknown said...

very nice ! It looks amazing

I went to the G W and found a little musical treasure ! Ill share it next week

- KAT -

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love old windows. I have several outside and inside. They make great backdrops. Love the way you used it in your vignette.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

My sister is renovating an older house to sell, and I spoke for all the three-pane windows that were in the basement! I am excited to get my hands on them ;-)

Grammy Goodwill said...

I like that window you found.
It does add a lot to your vignette. I also like your clay lady.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

That window is an AMAZING find for only $10!!! And the mix of old, new, and handcrafted "works" beautifully.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Great window. I have one I got years ago and it was way more than $10.00! Can't wait to see it move around your house. Have a wonderful week!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

What a great find! I love the size and shape of the window. :)

Sunshineshelle said...

Love this & that frame is just gorgeous with all it's crackling paint & beautiful tones... flea markets & thrift shops can be great but sometimes when I see the pricing I gag, it makes me wonder if they realise it's not Macys we are browsing at LOL!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Awesome piece!