Friday, November 18, 2011

Unconventional Approach at Making Over Cabinetry Is A Success!


Many of you know that I have been working on my master bath since Spring.  I was unhappy with the overall contemporary style of the room and wanted it to flow with my master bedroom.  I revealed my master bedroom makeover a few months back.  This is what it looks like.
You can see, the bedroom is light, bright and airy.  We installed the bead board to the chair rail to finish off the room with a traditional, country flair.  I wanted this for the bathroom as well.  I have run into snag after snag, mainly due to my inability to make a decision.  Bathrooms are expensive to makeover and once you make a decision, you are pretty much financially stuck with it.  So I hired a designer because I was feeling like a needed an outside source for assistance. 

She came up with very beautiful drawings, but just the cabinetry bid came in close to $10,000!  Talk about shock.  Understand something....there is nothing wrong with the present cabinetry.  All they really needed was a re-style, but you are hard pressed to find anyone who is willing to just switch out the cabinet doors and such.  I figured that I was back out on my own.  I spent a month beating myself up for having spent the money and searching for ideas that were more affordable.

Unfinished Maple Raised Panel DoorI considered buying special order, unfinished raised panel doors at a cost of 50 dollars a door.  After all, I could refinish them myself.  Then, I came up with a crazy plan and put it into action.  You know what?  It worked!  It worked so well, I wish I could post this everywhere so that all DIYers out there can see this. 

First, I had my helper Ed decoratively router out the center of the melamine doors.  He then routed the inside of the door in order to lay in bead board.  We weren't sure if it was going to work with this material. The surface of these doors are engineered...kinda like a mica product.  We thought that they might chip or lift.  But guess what? Nothing chipped, spilt or anything!  It worked!

Here is what it looked like sitting getting ready for refinishing.
Ready for refinishing
Backside of cabinet with bead board set in.
I was so excited at this point because the melamine had completely held up to the routing.  Now I had to see what was going to happen to the freshly cut open materials when paint came into play.  I was wondering if the exposed material would warp or flake.  I wondered if the engineered surface would take the paint.  Guess what?  It didn't warp or flake. I sanded the engineered door surface to prepare it to take the primer.   Then came two sprayed on coats of  Zinsser 123 Bulls Eye Primer.  The doors took the primer like white on rice! I then finished it off with several coats of Sherwin Williams Duration Paint in a Satin Alabaster White making sure to gently sanding between coats.  Take a look at this!

Look at the routed decorative edge! The white paint just brought it right out!
Oh....how I love that fresh white surface...and that bead board! To die for I tell ya!  I hand painted the other areas of the cabinetry in the bath by hand alternating brushing on layers of paint with rolling on layers with a small foam high density roller.  I like the surface I get interchanging the two techniques.  Smooth, but not too slick and contemporary. 

We installed the doors this past week and here is what they look like now.



I am so excited about the results of this project.  Instead of $10,000, the project came in at about $250. (I paid Ed to do the router and bead board work, plus materials)  Not bad, I'd say.  If you notice, I changed out the knobs too.  I will talk about the knob project sometime in the next few days and show you how I made them. 
For those of you who haven't seen the before images, I put together these two collages. 


I hope this project inspires you.  Do you have cabinetry somewhere in your house that you just don't love the appearance, but feel like it isn't up to the rigors of a re-surface?  Well, I am here to tell you that you just may be able to pull something off for very few dollars!  I'm am not going to sit here and tell you that this was the easiest project ever.  It took a lot of diligence and patience.  In the end, it paid off.

*****UPDATED TO THIS POST!  If you want to hop over and see the cabinet knob tutorial post  Cabinet Knobs Using Stones and Jute there will be a back link to this post.*******
-The End-
Featured!! Yeah!!!

Linking to:

     


23 comments:

Small Town Girl said...

Just gorgeous! And to think you of what you started with?!? Great job!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

WOW!!! Lesley, this is an amazing transformation! And the price... I can't believe you did it all for that price! Fantastic job! :) And I love your bedroom. Gorgeous!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Your before and after photos are AMAZING! I can hardly believe this is the same room. Absolutely, completely, stunningly gorgeous! I am sure you will LOVE it for a long time to come!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

P.S. Will you share some close-ups of your cabinet pulls? I can't get a good look at them! And I would love to know the wall color--I am lousy at choosing yellows!

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

LOVE the makeover - great job!

Twice Nice said...

Wow Lesley!!! Fabulous. You give me great hope that the "house of oak" could someday all be changed!
Deb

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Lesley they turned out FABULOUS! Love your bathrooms new look! Martina

Cassie Bustamante said...

OH WOW!!!!! it is stunning! amazing job, lesley!!!!!

jany said...

OHH WOW!!! it a gorgeous!

Creat A Design

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I can hardly believe it's the same room! The cabinets look amazing and the room is so bright and cheerful now. I bet you smile every time you walk into the room. You've been BUSY!!!

KimMalk said...

I would have never guessed you could pull those off with that style of door. Your new bathroom looks wonderful!

Dana @ CraftedNiche.com said...

Amazing! I love it!

Cathy @My 1929 Charmer said...

Wow that is fan.tab.u.lous and amazing. It doesn't even look like the same room. You did a great job. Gosh, would you share this at Sunday's Best going on now. Sharing is a good thing!

Southgate said...

Oh how I wish I had read this post about 5 years ago! I was stuck with melamine cabinets in my old master suite because I didn't think I would be able to do anything to change them. Amazing! Would never have guessed those were the same doors!

Kansas Amy said...

Just beautiful! Great job!!

foreverdecorating said...

Unbelievable transformation. Great idea!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Wow. What a difference. Great job.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

No one would ever guess in a million years that your before is also your after. (with modifications of course) Looks like at least $9.999 worth of updating! Can I get Ed's phone number??? LOL

Angela said...

With time, elbow grease, and a little savvy you've saved a lot of money and you have something that looks custom. Great inspiration. You should be very proud of your work.

Jenifer Harrod said...

I loved how this turned out!
Please come to our party at:
www.mychristian-life.blogspot.com

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, tweeted on Twitter and stumbled on Stumble Upon. Please feel free to grab the feature button. Thanks for linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

Refacing Kitchen Cabinet said...

Great job, thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

I still can't get over how amazing these cabinets turned out!!!! LOVE them!