Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's a Little Sketchy Around Here

My son asked me yesterday, "Hey Mom, why don't you draw anymore?"  I responded quickly, "I draw all the time."  Liar.  Yep. I lied.  I use to sketch and draw constantly.  Now, the only time that I draw it is to doodle on a piece of paper while waiting for someone to pick up the phone.  How did I get away from something that I enjoy so much? 

So fast forward to today.  I open up a new blog that I am following, Artsy Butterfly. I found Cathi Bueti  through the new blog party I found called Friday Paint Party.  Cathy was posting a sketch today for another blog party, a Sunday Sketch party.  I took a look over at the party and thought to myself, "I gotta get back to sketching.  Even if it is just for nothing more than unpressurized pleasure." 

I think that I am a little introspective lately.  I am really working through some value judgements and re-evaluating many of my choices on how I spend my time and effort.  The process alone is comforting.  It makes me stop and appreciate the things that are right.  It makes me take control of my life and create a place around me of purpose, peace and happiness. 

So here is my post for the Sunday Sketch Party.  The sketches shown here are sketches that I have done in the distant past.  The one of the elderly lady was a 're-draw' of a famous Hyman Bloom sketch.  I first hand sketched the original and then added the skeletal structure.  Love the exercise of taking something and adding my own signature.  It's challenging because it puts you in the position of trying to match a master, then putting a little twist on it. Fun.  The other sketch is a self portrait.  Guess I was stressed that day!

Hope you enjoyed the sneak peek at a couple of drawings.  Gotta get my nice papers and drawing supplies back out and dust them off.

-The End-
Linking this post to:

14 comments:

lissa said...

nice sketches. you're so talented.

Unknown said...

Wow...the old lady sketch is brilliant... get sketching girl... I want to see more.. :)

Christine said...

beautiful sketches, look forward to seeing more.

Crystal said...

Awesome sketches!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Great sketches! I took a drawing class a few years ago and ended up quitting halfway through when I saw how much better the high school student sitting next to me was AND most of the others too!

Joni Nickrent said...

Awesome sketches..I'd say you definitely need to get back to that! Great stuff! Thanks for joining the Sunday Sketches hop...alot of amazing artists and glad to have you join in the fun! Will be watching for your future posts! POP ART MINIS

Heather said...

nice to meet you through sunday sketches - you've got great work here, i look forward to more of your work.

Carol said...

That old lady sketch is amazing!!!!

Robin Panzer Art said...

Wonderful and interesting sketches! Happy Sunday!

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

So talented! Can't wait to see more!

Marianne said...

I am always in awe of people who can actually draw and sketch and paint. I may have many skills but my drawing skills are still at Kindergarten level.
Happy sketching to you!

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome sketches ~ Bravo to your son for motivating you ~ keep on keeping on ~ namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Hmmm, I'm with your son. Why did you stop sketching? I can't tell you how happy I am to see more of your creations Lesley. Keep em coming.

Alexandra MacVean said...

Well, hello and welcome to Sunday Sketches!! Glad to see you getting back into your drawing. It's a great place to be, even if only for fun....with lotsa fun peeps! :)